Ruth A. Haas Library: 203.837.9100
Robert S. Young Library: 203.837.9139
Checking Out WCSU Materials
- To check out a book, DVD, CD, videorecording, or other material, bring the item(s) to the Circulation Desk at the Ruth A. Haas or Robert S. Young Library. A valid CSU ID is required to borrow library materials. NOTE: Print periodicals may not be borrowed.
- Registered students may obtain a WestConnect ID card from the WestConnect Office located in the basement of Old Main. Materials will be checked out electronically to your account number and stamped with the date on which they are due back in the Library.
- Faculty and staff must also present their University ID when borrowing materials.
- Library borrowing privileges are NOT transferable. Only the cardholder may present the card when borrowing materials.
- Faculty may request special arrangements to extend loan periods for circulating material, and borrow restricted library material.
- WCSU books - initial 28 day loan, with one renewal for 28 days
- WCSU media - including DVDs. Cds, and VHS tapes - 14 days, with no renewal
- WCSU Reserves - loan periods vary, i.e. one hour and closed are in-house use only, overnight, 3 day.
- other CSU libraries - loan periods may vary depending on material category; see below for more information
- You can renew books online by logging in to your library record with your university ID number and your library PIN. Go to this page: http://www.consuls.org/patroninfo. This option will not work if the books are already overdue.
- You can renew books by stopping by the library and asking for assistance at the circulation desk.
REQUEST BOOK: Borrowing from other CSU Libraries
Faculty, staff and students at any of the four Connecticut State University campuses (CCSU, ECSU, SCSU, or WCSU) may use the library collection at any of the other campuses, either by visiting these libraries in person or by requesting their local campus library to obtain materials for them. If you visit another library in person, please be sure to bring a valid ID if you wish to check out material.
CSU faculty, staff and students may request books electronically through CONSULS, the Connecticut State University Library System. CSU faculty, staff and students may request books from the other CSU Libraries by selecting Request Book at the full record or title list display in CONSULS. The system will prompt you to type your student ID number, and your library PIN #. Be sure to select a pickup location before clicking on the gray bar at the bottom of the screen to initiate your request. If you need help in establishing a library PIN #, please contact the Haas circulation desk at (203) 837-9100. Please allow 4-5 working days for delivery to the WCSU Circulation Desk.
For books and materials outside of the CSU system, please consult the Interlibrary Loan page.
Charter Oak College or Naugatuck Valley Community College
Students at Charter Oak College or Naugatuck Valley Community College who have credentials showing current enrollment at either C.O.C. or N.V.C.C. may borrow up to 10 books at a time from our circulating collections.
Special library privileges are available to alumni who have an active membership in the WCSU Alumni Association. To utilize these privileges, alumni must present their active alumni card at the library. Their expiration date for library privileges will coincide with the date indicated on their alumni card.
Active alumni have the following library privileges:
- Borrow up to ten books (excludes audiovisual materials, journals and interlibrary loan services).
- Utilize all library materials within the library.
- Access to remote databases from a library computer (however, not from home). Due to CSU security measures, alumni may not utilize their personal laptop computers to gain access to WestConn's wireless network.
Not an active member of the WCSU Alumni Association? Activate your membership today and start receiving these and other special alumni services. Call (203) 837-8298 to sign up over the phone.
Library cards are available to individuals by joining the WestConn Society. A member may borrow a maximum of 10 books at any given time from our circulating collections. Interlibrary loan and remote use of article databases are not included. For more information, contact Institutional Advancement.
The Council of Connecticut Academic Library Directors, has arranged for borrowing privileges for faculty and staff at participating academic libraries in Connecticut. Under this arrangement, the faculty or staff member completes the borrowing agreement form at his or her institution's library, agreeing to personally comply with the policies of the lending library, and the form is then signed by the "home" library director or a designee. After presenting the agreement form to the lending library's Circulation Department, the faculty or staff member is then allowed to borrow up to three items. All items must be returned before additional materials may be borrowed.
The faculty or staff borrower assumes personal responsibility for fines and/or replacement fees according to the stated policies of the lending library. For further details, contact the Access Services Librarian for the WCSU Libraries at (203) 837-9102 or at your respective academic library. CCALD Reciprocal Borrowing Program
Community members without library cards may use, in-house, the book and periodical collections. Photocopiers are available at a cost of 10 cents per copy if you purchase a Copy Card or 15 cents per page in cash. Visitors may also use the CONSULS catalog system and databases at no charge, subject to the Public Workstation Use Policy.